Personal Mission Statement

Value what God values Intentionally love, inspire, and serve Voluntarily give with compassion and humility Every opportunity counts!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Because You Are Young

It's funny, I'm almost 30, but I still feel as young as I did when I was 16 (at least most days).  When people ask me if I dread turning 30, I answer "No! Of course not! Lord willing, I'll be really old and really wise one day!"  Then, I'm reminded of one of my favorite verses.  1 Timothy 4:12 "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity."  Young is relative. From my perspective, my children are young but when I think of my leaders/mentors in the faith, I feel young.  I love learning and always have.  However, this verse challenges me to be an example, to pass on what I have learned, to share what wisdom I have acquired thus far. (I don't have to be "very old" to do that). 

In speech, I've learned that silence is sometimes best.  "Be quick to listen, slow to speak."   I've also learned it's easier to be critical, but it's Christ-like to build up others. 
In life, I've learned God is present in all circumstances.  I've learned that not everything that happens is this life is "God's will."  His will is being accomplished and will be completed upon his return.  The great news is, He promises not to leave me alone along the journey.  I've found Him faithful in that.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

 In love, I've learned that a person's capacity to love is far greater than I ever imagined.  God is love and he created us to love!  When I step back and realize how many people are in my family, that I love so deeply, so much, and I never run out...it's really kind of amazing.  Then, God brings other people into my life.  People that I truly barely know or have contact with, but I genuinely have care and concern for.  Or sometimes, it's people I don't even know at all. I just know or hear their story and it moves me to tears of joy, compassion, or concern.  I realize I'm learning to love what God loves---people.

 For me, faith and scripture have a strong bond.  I believe God's word is true.  Not matter what circumstances look like, I have have found God's word is always true.  When my mind turns to doubt and falls short on faith, I go to the Bible.  That is where God renews and strengthens my faith.  I have found that when I'm in the Word daily, my faith is strong. 

Purity also closely related to God's Word being in my life daily.  Sometimes it's easy to do "Christian things" and ignore or overlook holiness.  We are still living in a fallen world.  Sometimes, by surrounding myself with Godly people, I forget that and put myself on autopilot and don't really take a close look at my heart.  A heart that may harbor bitterness, jealously, or pride.  God's word has to be the agent of change in my life!  If it were up to me and my own ideas, I'd already be perfect. (LOL)  I honestly try to do what is right, but I have to allow God to be honest with me--the end goal being holiness.  So, I'm NOT perfect yet...and I'm a work in progress.  However, I still can share what I do know. 

The flip side, is to not be too proud to learn from the "young ones" either.  I am convinced that part of the reason God made family and children, is to teach us more about his relationship with us.  There have been many times my children have said things and God uses it to speak to me.   Some that come to mind:  "I have a broken heart and Jesus needs to fix it,"  "I'm ready to go to Heaven and see Jesus,"  "Jesus is coming, FOR REAL!,"  " How come grown ups never get punished for sin?" (of course there are consequences of sin, but do we really stop and recognize it or see it as such?),   "God, thank you for growning more food and more food!", "I don't want to be an enemy of God."   While I'm trying to teach them so much, I must be careful not to look down on them because they are young; and perhaps sometimes I must be the student!

(Please ignore all grammatical errors...this is a early, early morning/late night post)

No comments:

Post a Comment