Personal Mission Statement

Value what God values Intentionally love, inspire, and serve Voluntarily give with compassion and humility Every opportunity counts!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Revelation

Matthew 26:57-68
The high priests question Jesus.  They knew the written word of God, but somehow they missed the Son of God standing before them.  I live in a time and place where the Bible is readily available to me, in many different translations.  I see written evidence of Christ, his death and resurrection.  Everything shows that Christ is who he says He is.  So, how did they miss it?  Was it just jealousy, desire for power, control?    I always pictured the pharisees as mean, power hungry individuals (and maybe they were).  However, verse 65 made me see a different side of them.  When Jesus answered that He was the Christ, the Son of  God, "The high priest tore his clothes and said, "He has spoken blasphemy!  Why do we need any more witnesses?..."  He tore his clothes! I've been upset before, but I've never torn my clothes over it.  (Yes, this was a more common practice back then, but still...) This encounter with Jesus rocked his soul.  Something about Jesus disturbed him. Could it be that he truly thought this man, Jesus, was defaming the name of  God?  Could it be that he had devoted his whole live to God, so much that he assumed he understood God's plan for humanity?-and the thought of an impostor was infuriating. Self-righteousness is hard to recognize.  By definition, it seems right.  Even on the cross Jesus said "Forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing."  People who devoted their lives to God, wouldn't intentionally order the murder of the Son of God.  They just didn't see.  To them, Jesus was an impossible candidate. After all,  he had grown up among them.  They knew of his family--very human (as far as they could tell).  They knew his "home"--a far cry from Heaven. They were mistaken.  In my heart I've judged the pharisees for years.  I saw them as part of God's plan, but I saw them as cold-hearted religious leaders.  Today I found some compassion towards them. I wonder how many times have I mistaken God?  Am I so sure about what's right in my eyes, that I've missed God's revelation?--God revealing himself in a new way, an unexpected way.  In this same passage Jesus says "In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."  Sometimes, I live as if the story is done.  I know Christ has the victory, my soul has been saved, and His way is best.  I try to live accordingly.  However, I don't want to be so caught up in what I know about Christ and what I'm assured of, that I stop looking for him today.  I should be watching and awaiting His return.  I should be getting to know Him so well, that when He returns--I know him! Perhaps, I should even expect to be surprised.  (His ways are not my ways).  I don't want to mistake Him or deny Him. 

Jesus, may I know you better every day.  I don't want to just know about you, I want to know YOU! I want to know your character and your voice, so that I will not miss you when you show up in my day to day life--or when you return to establish your kingdom.  Reveal yourself to me.  Remove my perspective and perception, and replace them with your promises and plans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment